Google
 

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

LaFrentz Glad To Be Healthy, Ready To Play

TUALATIN -- Raef LaFrentz harbors no illusions entering the Trail Blazers' season.
He's well aware he averaged a career-worst 3.7 points and 2.6 rebounds per game last season and he discouragingly remembers doing it all in only 27 games because of a lingering and debilitating left calf injury.

Even with the season-ending injury to Greg Oden, the Blazers feature one of the NBA's brightest young teams. But when fans and pundits contemplate the franchise and its promise, LaFrentz is an afterthought, barely worth a mention.

"With me right now, here, there is really limited expectations coming into the season," LaFrentz said, smiling coyly. "I won't (lie to) you. It is what it is at this point."

But a combination of factors suggests that, even with indifferent expectations, the 6-foot-11 LaFrentz could play a meaningful role this year.

Oden's sudden departure days before training camp has left the Blazers thin in the front court. They could use the wisdom of a 10-year veteran. Every team in the league covets consistent outside shooting, particularly from a big man.

And perhaps most important, LaFrentz's left calf is healed and he enters the season free of injury concerns.

"I'm 100 percent better," he said. "Last year was a hurdle I couldn't quite get over. This year, I feel like I'm in decent shape. I'm getting up and down the floor and I feel like I have some legs underneath me. To be honest, I haven't really thought about (my calf) since June. It doesn't hurt anymore."

His calf seemed fine Friday at the end of morning practice, when the Blazers participated in a 30-minute scrimmage. Competing on a team of second-stringers, LaFrentz held his own against promising second-year player LaMarcus Aldridge, once beating him down court on a fast break and once swishing a fadeaway baseline jumper over Aldridge's outstretched arms.

This is LaFrentz's 10th NBA training camp, so he's all too aware that the first week of practice is hardly a time to expend midseason energy -- or take too much away from a couple of standout plays. But he started working for this season last May, when most NBA players were lounging on a beach, and continued throughout the offseason. So he hopes to make amends for a lost 2006-07 season.

click for more details

source : oregonlive.com

No comments: