Google
 

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

From Hand-Me-Downs To His Very Own Brand

As the 10th of 11 children who grew up dirt-poor in White Hall, Ala., Ben Wallace wore shoes with no name.

"Everybody asks me what my first pair of shoes was, but by the time they got handed down to me they were just shoes," Wallace said. "They didn't have a name or a brand or anything."

That makes the story of the shoe Wallace is wearing this season all the more impressive. After all, they're named for him.

Late last season, Wallace followed Stephon Marbury to become the second NBA player to wear the affordable Starbury brand, priced at $14.98.

After a summer of input on design, the Big Ben collection will be available this fall at Steve and Barry's stores.

"I know what it's like not to able to afford basketball shoes," Wallace said. "This is about helping out and giving back. Everybody should be able to afford these."

Wallace has reported no problems with the new design thus far in training camp, joking that they make him faster.

"I had all the input," Wallace said. "We came up with a couple of different shoes. I shot a couple of ideas down. The guys did a great job of keeping me informed on everything that was going on and what they were trying to do with the shoes.

"They didn't have any problem if I said I didn't like something. They would go and change it. If I liked something, they'd make sure to go and add it."

Specifically, Wallace said he demanded a strap across the shoe for added support.

source : chicagosports.chicagotribune.com

No comments: