Google
 

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Bulls?New Coach Debuts with a Win Over Bucks


Chicago 103, Milwaukee 99


CHICAGO, Dec. 28 (AP) -- Jim Boylan's debut as interim head coach of the Chicago Bulls was a winner because of a major change he made soon after getting the job.

Boylan asked Ben Gordon to give up his starter's role and come off the bench to give the stumbling team an offensive lift.

Gordon, the NBA Sixth Man of the Year during the 2004-05 season, prefers to be on the floor at the start of the game, but made the switch to help the team. He scored 19 of his 31 points in the final quarter Friday night as the Bulls beat the Milwaukee Bucks 103-99.

Boylan, promoted from an assistant's job Thursday to replace the fired Scott Skiles, wasn't surprised by Gordon's performance.

"I didn't want to make any predictions before the game, but I thought he would (respond) because that is the kind of guy Ben is. He told me he would do it, that I could count on him,'' Boylan said. "He came through. I have to applaud him for accepting this role.''

Gordon's big final quarter included 10-of-11 from the free throw line. He said he needed some extra time early in the game to get loose.

"It took me a while to kind of get warm but after a few trips up and down I found my groove,'' he said. "It worked for us and hopefully it will continue to work in the future.''

Luol Deng added 28 for Chicago. Michael Redd paced the Bucks with 34.

Bucks coach Larry Krystkowiak was ejected with 1:18 left after picking up his second technical foul when he angrily came on the floor toward official Derrick Collins during a timeout.

The blowup came seconds after Deng's follow shot had put the Bulls up 95-91. Moments earlier, Chicago had been awarded possession after a loose ball scramble. A replay appeared to show the ball went off Chicago's Kirk Hinrich as he was hitting the floor. And Krystkowiak was livid.

"No question it was our ball. Hinrich hit the ball out of bounds. I saw it live and I saw it on tape a number of times,'' Krystkowiak said. "I felt it was our ball and I obviously reacted. ... I would like to go back in time and rewind it, but in the heat of the moment that's what it was. It's rough. We had a six-point lead going into the fourth quarter. I would be lying if I didn't say it stings.''

Gordon made two free throws after the technicals on Krystkowiak to put Chicago up 97-91 and the Bulls hung on, thanks to some shaky free throw shooting from Milwaukee.

Boylan acknowledged some butterflies before his first game as a head coach - albeit an interim one - because it was something he'd waited for during a 14-season stint in the league, mostly as an assistant.

"I feel a certain calmness, too. I've been chasing this for a long time and for it to finally get here, I think I'd be foolish to let my emotions get the best of me,'' said the 52-year-old Boylan.

But when asked after the game about the experience, Boylan had to stop to compose himself as his voice cracked.

"It's funny being out there. I coached the team in the summer, but obviously it's quite different,'' he said. "It was an emotional thing. My family is here.''

Boylan also showed his sense of humor when asked how he did coaching in the frenetic atmosphere.

"I'm a little bit rusty. I have to polish up my delivery and make sure I'm doing everything right out there,'' he said. "I'm a work in progress, too.''

Redd made two of three free throws after he was fouled on a long attempt with 24 seconds left to make it 98-95. After two more free throws by Gordon, Redd again was fouled on a 3-point attempt and made two to cut it to 100-97 with 14 seconds to play.

Milwaukee was only 7-for-15 from the line for the game and missed seven free throws in the final quarter. The Bulls had a whopping advantage, hitting 29 of 33 free throws.

Mo Williams had 15 assists and 11 points for the Bucks, while Andrew Bogut added 15 points and 11 rebounds. Deng shot 12-for-18 from the field and had 10 rebounds.

Redd had seven points, including a 3-pointer, and a nice pass to Bogut for a dunk, as the Bucks opened the second half on a 15-6 run to go up 62-52.

Milwaukee led 76-70 after three quarters. But the Bulls stayed close and finally pulled even on Gordon's three-point play with 7:38 left at 82.

source : NBA.com

No comments: