Google
 

Monday, August 20, 2007

Celtics Perkins Working Hard To Improve Defense

Between now and the start of training camp in six weeks, Kendrick Perkins hopes the Celtics' coaching staff pushes him to extremes. He wants to be run ragged, past the point of exhaustion in offensive and defensive drills. When he joins Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Rajon Rondo in the starting five this season, the 6-foot-10-inch Perkins wants to be in the best shape of his career.

"Each day I can come in here and a coach can kill me and make me throw up after my workout, that's what I want," said Perkins, who has dropped 20 pounds and is 10 shy of his desired playing weight of 260. "If you do that all the way through the month of September, everything else is going to be easy."

After working out recently at the Celtics' practice facility in Waltham, Perkins, 22, sounded almost giddy about the upcoming season. He shares the same high expectations as fans, believing the Celtics can make a run to the NBA Finals. He understands that if the Celtics disappoint this season, his talent may be questioned more than others.

"I know if I don't take advantage of this opportunity, people are going to be saying, 'They need another center,' " said Perkins. "If Rondo doesn't take advantage of it, then we're a point guard away from a championship. Paul, K.G., and Ray have enough on their shoulders. They don't have to carry me, Rondo, and T.A. [Tony Allen]. The only thing they should be carrying along is rookies. This is my fifth year. I've got to grow up."

With the birth of his first child expected in early September, Perkins has taken a more mature approach to his life and career, thinking long and hard about his priorities.

click for more details

source : boston.com

No comments: