Google
 

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Howard Schooled By NBA Legend

All-star center Dwight Howard has been getting schooled at Orlando Magic practices, helpless to defend a feathery jumpshot . . . launched from the late '80s.He always loses a make-believe retro matchup against Patrick Ewing, NBA legend and now Howard's big-man coach."In my mind -- yeah," Ewing laughed. "You know us old guys.

"Dwight and I just talk a lot of trash, wondering what it would be like if we played each other at the same age. It's just a lot of bull."

On Friday, Howard, 21, ambled off the floor after performing another post-practice shooting drill conducted by Ewing, 45.

"Sometimes I'll forget Patrick Ewing is a legend," jabbed Howard."He acts so normal. I never got a chance to see him play. I've just seen a couple highlight films of him getting dunked on by Michael Jordan."

Howard has a terrific relationship with Ewing, voted one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players in 1996.

Howard knows that the 7-foot Ewing can help him expand his offensive game, which has been limited to dunks and putbacks. It's why the Magic hired Ewing as an assistant coach this summer, five years after he unceremoniously ended his great career in Orlando as a backup center.

"He's the perfect guy. He can post, he can shoot and he had to deal with double teams,"

Howard said. "I have my own little style. I don't play like Patrick Ewing, but the stuff he does I can put it into my game."He's always talking to me, making sure I do the right things on the court."Howard's game resembles Shaquille O'Neal's more than Ewing's.

At 6 feet-11, 270 pounds, weight-room strong with an uncanny leaping ability, Howard likely will remain a power player even though versatile Kevin Garnett was his boyhood idol. But Howard has been working on shooting this season, at the free-throw line and away from it, having hired a shooting coach.

click for more details

source : orlandosentinel.com

No comments: