Google
 

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Williams Apologizes, Accepts Responsibility

A written statement released through the team wasn't enough for Shawne Williams
The 21-year-old forward wanted to face the media, answer the hard questions about his arrest earlier this week and ultimately make it clear he was fully prepared to accept responsibility, and punishment, for his actions.

"To me, it's been devastating," Williams said Friday on the main court at Conseco Fieldhouse. "I feel like I let my organization and my teammates down, as well as the Simon brothers and my family."

Williams was suspended three games by team President Larry Bird after forward from Memphis was arrested early Tuesday morning. Though police found marijuana and an unlicensed gun in the vehicle, those items were linked to passengers. Williams was charged with driving without a license, a Class C misdemeanor, and given two traffic citations, one for having expired license plates and one for failure to signal a lane change.

In his written statement issued earlier Friday, Williams said he would not appeal the suspension, saying, "I am very disappointed that I put myself in this position and I take full responsibility and want to be held accountable for my actions."

Roosevelt Rollins, 21, of Memphis, Tenn., is charged with possession of marijuana. The other passenger, Roderick Helton, 32, also of Memphis, is charged with carrying a handgun without a license. Williams described the two as friends of his father and said he would need to be more selective about his future associations.

click for mroe details

source : NBA.com

No comments: