Google
 

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Strawberry Is Ripe With Anticipation

It's usually impressive when a second-round draft pick is signed by an NBA team. But what's even more remarkable about D.J. Strawberry's signing with the Suns, is that three years ago he thought his basketball career was finished.

Coming off a strong inaugural season at the University of Maryland, Strawberry tore his ACL at practice during the early part of his sophomore year. A couple days after completing surgery, the former Terrapin remembers his despair.

"There was a lot of doubt that I'd ever play basketball again," Strawberry recalled. "I felt like it was never going to happen."

However, he continued to persevere.

"It was a long process," the guard said." My trainer and I worked everyday. The days I didn't want to come in she (my trainer) drove out to my house, picked me up and made me work on my knee. But day-by-day I got a little bit stronger and then I finally reached the point where I was better than before."

Strawberry returned to the court revitalized and closed out an exceptional college career. He was named to the All-ACC Second Team, the ACC All-Defensive Team and won back-to-back ACC Player of Week honors during his senior season.

But it wasn't his accolades that drew the attention of NBA scouts, it was his freakish athletic ability.

Strawberry tested off the charts at the pre-draft camp, producing eye-popping numbers for shuttle times, horizontal quickness, strength and vertical leap. Not only was he calculated as the best overall athlete in his position, but as the best overall in camp.

click for more details

source : NBA.com

No comments: