Google
 

Friday, August 24, 2007

Richardson Brings 40 Minutes Of 'Infierno' To Mexico

LAS VEGAS, Aug. 23 -- So much has changed for Nolan Richardson in the five years since he was last seen barking out instructions as head coach of Arkansas. His once-dark Afro is now gray and closer cropped. He has lost more than 20 pounds. And, the trademark playing style that led to three Final Four appearances and a national championship -- 40 minutes of hell -- is now said in a different language.

"Cuarenta minutos de infierno," said Richardson, 65, who is serving as national team coach for Mexico in the FIBA Americas Championship.




It seemed a little odd seeing Richardson guiding Mexico to a preliminary round upset of Puerto Rico on Wednesday -- and it had nothing to do with the goofy-looking blue outfit he was wearing. But given Richardson's background, he sounds like the perfect fit to possibly guide the Mexican basketball team back to the Olympics for the first time since 1976. "I always dreamed that I would one day get a chance to coach the Mexican team," said Richardson. "All my life I've been a part of Mexican culture. I knew if they needed some help, they could always call me and I would be there."





click for more details





source : washingtonpost.com

No comments: